Tuesday, March 09, 2010

"Don't quit your day job."



Here's sketch I did out of my Merida Sketchbook (which is done and the pages being scanned as I write this).
I happened to be doing this sketch while I was seated at a restaurant in Disney's California Adventure. While doodling...I noticed someone standing behind me, then they said, "I won't quit my day job."
"WTF" I said to myself. I responded while turning the pages of the sketchbook showing finished art. "This is my day job".
I didn't look directly at the person who happened to be an old white dude. I could tell he got a bit nervous..."oh who do you work for..." And other crap. I told him I do gigs in all aspects in the entertainment industry. I informed him I have friends that work in Disney.
So, the lesson here....shut the Fuck up if you don't have anything nice to say or you don't quite understand something when it comes to art and illustrations. It seemed in the eyes of this old dude that since I didn't draw in the Disney style some how I need to keep a regular day job? Pleeeease mother fucker.

This sketch was done by laying in the roughs in blue pencil then inked it with a pigment liner pen. Then using gray markers to color it with the highlights done using a white Prismacolor pencil. Let me know what you all think?

Catch you all later,
Axel

No comments: